[systemd-devel] nspawn and ovs bridges

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 31 17:29:39 UTC 2019

On Mi, 23.10.19 20:09, MichaƂ Zegan (webczat_200 at poczta.onet.pl) wrote:

> Hello,
> My use case is the following: make a test of routing protocols without
> having... enough real hardware. I decided to do that via containers
> using systemd-nspawn, and because I may need many interconnected
> networks and things like qos settings applied without dirty scripts, I
> decided to try openvswitch for bridge management.
> The problem here is that systemd-nspawn does not really support adding
> the created veth interface to the ovs bridge, even for the so called
> fake bridge, because it says "operation not supported". Same happens if
> I try to do ip link set iface master fakebridge.
> How to deal with that situation correctly? Any ideas?

Uh. Some network device types might need some special calls to migrate
them to an ns namespace (wifi too?), so far nobody sat down and did
the necessary work to make that happen. It's a matter of debugging,
researching and than probably making a minor fix to nspawn, to do the
migration for you.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin