[systemd-devel] can networkd's DHCP server do static leases or dynamic updates?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Dec 19 09:53:06 UTC 2020

On Sa, 19.12.20 01:52, Dan Egli (dan at newideatest.site) wrote:

> I have searched all over the internet and I can't seem to find an answer to
> the question in the subject line.
>
> Right now I use ISC's dhcpd and ISC's bind together to generate updates to a
> dynamic zone, where some machines get whatever IP is available in the pool
> while others are always assigned the same address, period. I can set that up
> without too much effort using those programs. But since I use Systemd and I
> know that systemd has integrated DHCP support, I'd like to know if there's a
> way I can replace ISC's dhcpd with systemd's and still get the fixed
> addresses and dynamic updates.

static leases is not yet there, but there's a PR for it that'll
probably be merged soon:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/15556

"dynamic updates"? What do you mean by that? DNS updates?

If you mean DNS updates, we do not support that currently, and noone
is working on that.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin