[systemd-devel] systemd-rfkill.service: Failed to set up special execution directory in /var/lib: Read-only file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Dec 19 10:55:43 UTC 2020

On Di, 10.11.20 11:57, Mark Rogers (mark at more-solutions.co.uk) wrote:

> I have a Raspberry Pi-based development kiosk system which has been working
> fine for ages. But without having made any changes that I can relate to the
> boot sequence, it now errors on startup with multiple:
>
> [FAILED] Failed to start Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status
>
> errors, and also a single
>
>   [FAILED] Failed to start Set console font and keymap
>
> error.
>
> Clearly these relate to the read-only filesystem but that hasn't changed so
> I don't see why I am now getting errors unless there was always a race
> condition that I'm now experiencing for the first time?
>
> Any suggestions for how to resolve these? (Do I even need rfkill in a kiosk
> environment? I tried to disable it but that doesn't appear to have any
> impact.)

Looks like a bug in your OS? /var should be writable at the point the
rfkill service is started. i.e. it comes with an ordering dep on
After=systemd-remount-fs.service and a line
RequiresMountsFor=/var/lib/systemd/rfkill which make sure /var/ must
be mounted and writable by then.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin