[systemd-devel] Q: "Start request repeated too quickly." for dependency

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 13 08:35:00 UTC 2020

On Mo, 13.01.20 09:20, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a oneshot service (say "G") that creates some files if missing, and some other sevices (say A B C) that have a dependency on G.
> Now if services A B C start quickly in succession, I get a failure because G fails to start (as it seems).
> The log says "G: Start request repeated too quickly.". (Actual start requests aren't logged, however, or I could not find those)
>
> Is there any setting to tell systemd that it's OK to start the oneshot service quickly?

StartLimitIntervalSec= + StartLimitBurst= in the [Unit] section
configure how often a service can be started within a specific
time-frame. See systemd.unit(5) for more info.

If you want G to start only once for all three, then just set
RemainAfterExit=yes in G, which has the effect that the oneshot
service stays active after it completed so that it is only started
once for all three instead of three times, once for each.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin