[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: vt220 default for serial console still relevant?

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Jul 21 09:44:08 UTC 2020

>>> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> schrieb am 21.07.2020 um 09:09
in
Nachricht <20200721070910.GB187495 at gardel-login>:
> On Mo, 20.07.20 10:13, Bruce A. Johnson (bjohnson at blueridgenetworks.com)
> wrote:
>
>> Reading this discussion about VT220, I'm wondering why that was the
>> choice and not VT100 (which was also monochrome). And I'm straining my
>> memory to recall what it was that we had back then that made the VT100
>> seem so slick and futuristic.
>
> Our default used to be vt100 originally, but that can't do
> pgup/pgdown, which people found quite annyoing. vt220 adds support for
> that, and is apparently as widely supported, so we changed to that.

If you view images of a vt100, it's simply because vt100 had no PgUp/PgDown
key ;-)
So I cannot send the sequence.

(when I was a student we weren't allowed to use vi, because CBREAK mode would
create an IRQ for every key pressed, and that was considered to be too much
load for the system... Only after 6pm, so we came late just to be able to try
vi...)