[systemd-devel] DHCPv6-delegated prefix not assigned to LAN interface

Sergey Ermolenko sergey at ermolenko.net
Mon Mar 23 03:18:11 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am running systemd-networkd setup on router in DHCPv6-PD environment,
where WAN interface requests IPv6 via DHCPv6, receives the address as
well as delegated prefixes, with LAN interfaces serving those delegated
prefixes in their router advertisement messages. It generally works
well, however, the LAN interfaces on the router themselves do not have
the IPv6 addresses assigned by systemd-networkd from the prefix it
serves on that interface.

Doing background research on this issue, there seems to be already
ticket on this problem: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/14474.
Unfortunately, late during fixing this ticket, Yu Watanabe changed
configuration for autoconfiguring the LAN interface with delegated
address (see
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/14956#issuecomment-592952080)
from Network section to IPv6Prefix section. While this works for static
prefixes, as I understand IPv6Prefix is not in play when distributing
DHCPv6-PD acquired prefixes, and for DHCPv6-PD, the problem is still
unsolved.

Am I reading this correctly? Is there a special way of configuring
DHCPv6-delegated prefixes on LAN interfaces that I am not aware of? Is
this known issue?

Thanks in advance!