[systemd-devel] netdev templates and location of network units

Christian Schneider cschneider at radiodata.biz
Mon Mar 23 10:50:54 UTC 2020

Hi all,
for an embedded device with Linux and systemd boot, we wanted to deploy
custom network and netdev units.
We tried placing them in /usr/local/lib/systemd/network, next to service
files for custom services in /usr/local/lib/systemd/system. The network
units aren't picked up by systemd, the custom service files are, though.
Since this was a bit surprising, I want to ask, what is the rationale
behind this, and what would be the recommended location of the
network/netdev files? Right now we placed them in /etc/systemd/network

Furthermore, since we make heavy use of vlan, I tried to create a
template netdev file where the instance goes in as vlan id, but when I
tried to reference instance of the template in the network file, I got
syntax errors. Is there a rational behind this or is it just not
implemented to be use templates for netdev?

BR, Christian