[systemd-devel] What is the point of making timesyncd bus-activatible?

Arian Van Putten arian at wire.com
Tue May 19 09:30:45 UTC 2020

Hey list,

systemd-timesyncd has an Alias=dbus-org.freedesktop.timesync1.service and
an accompanying dbus service file too.

 It is started in early boot; `Before=sysinit.target`  so why would making
it dubs-activatible ever make sense? It is always started way before
dbus.service itself is started.

It also seems that the unit type is not Type=dbus (and doesn't set a
BusName) which confuses me a bit. So maybe I'm misunderstanding how dbus
integration works here. Ist that because we want to consider the services
"ready" before they even register a name on the bus?

Similarly systemd-resolved.service and systemd-networkd.service have such
aliases whilst they're both pulled in by `multi-user.target` and also do
not have `Type=dbus` and `BusName=` set.

What are the reasons for that?   For resolve1 i guess it makes sense as you
dont have to think about ordering when making dns calls in services. But I
am still confused why it is not of Type=dbus. Is that because it not only
gives a dbus API but also a DNS api?

Looking forward to your answers.

--

*Zeta Project Germany GmbH  *l  Rosenthaler Straße 40,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Rosenthaler+Stra%C3%9Fe+40,%C2%A0+10178+Berlin,%C2%A0+Germany&entry=gmail&source=g>10178

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Morten J. Broegger, Dylan Riley

HRB 149847 beim Handelsregister Charlottenburg, Berlin

VAT-ID DE288748675