[systemd-devel] How to use systemd-repart partitions?

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu May 21 08:06:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 20, 2020, 15:21 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> > What about things like create subvolumes on BTRFS? systemd-tmpfiles
> > does support that.
>
> If this is desirable we could probably add MakeSubvolume= or so which
> is applied before CopyFiles= is run, or so.

CopyFiles and CopyBlocks do make sense since they are probably going to get
used widely. I am not so shure about subvolunes and even less so about
setting up physical LVM volumes, multi-volume btrfs filesystems,
dm-integrety setups and a thousand other things! I would actually prefer to
see CopyFiles and CopyBlocks for the 90% that will not need more than that
and a more open approach as a fallback for the remaining 10%.

How about "SetupCommand=", that is run with the block device and maybe fs
type and options and must exit 0 when done successfully?

> > Well, my thinking was to mostly rely on the "gpt-auto" logic,
> > > i.e. that simply because they carry correct gpt type uuids systemd
> > > would discover and find them.
> >
> > gpt-auto is not enough. I will want to set up pretty complex things
> > like dm/crypto/etc.
>
> gpt-auto can cover LUKS/dm-crypt as well as dm-verity just fine. What
> else do you need?

How about a partition for backups that is encrypted and uses
filesystem-based compression? How about a RAID array? There are thousands
of cool things you can do with new filesystems and device mapper!

I want to be able to configure any of those fully automatically from
user-provided configuration/scripts.

Of course not all of these are in scope for repart, but I hope I can hitch
a ride for the first part of the way:-)

Best Regards,
Tobias