[systemd-devel] How to use systemd-repart partitions?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat May 30 09:54:10 UTC 2020

On Do, 21.05.20 10:06, Tobias Hunger (tobias.hunger at gmail.com) wrote:

> CopyFiles and CopyBlocks do make sense since they are probably going to get
> used widely. I am not so shure about subvolunes and even less so about
> setting up physical LVM volumes, multi-volume btrfs filesystems,
> dm-integrety setups and a thousand other things! I would actually prefer to
> see CopyFiles and CopyBlocks for the 90% that will not need more than that
> and a more open approach as a fallback for the remaining 10%.

Well, let's see when the need arises...

> How about "SetupCommand=", that is run with the block device and maybe fs
> type and options and must exit 0 when done successfully?

We can think about that. But let's start out simple for now.

I am not sure the LVM people are really — let's say — forward looking
enough to see the benefit of the whole concept. In particular as such
dynamic/elastic partition management is probably something they see as
genuinely something LVM could do for people, except that it does not.

> > > Well, my thinking was to mostly rely on the "gpt-auto" logic,
> > >
> > > gpt-auto is not enough. I will want to set up pretty complex things
> > > like dm/crypto/etc.
> >
> > gpt-auto can cover LUKS/dm-crypt as well as dm-verity just fine. What
> > else do you need?
>
> How about a partition for backups that is encrypted and uses
> filesystem-based compression? How about a RAID array? There are thousands
> of cool things you can do with new filesystems and device mapper!

I think the truly useful stuff is something we should cover natively,
and the rest is something people have to glue together on their own I guess..

Lennart Poettering, Berlin