[systemd-devel] systemctl reboot/halt with non-privilege user

An Liu sourceonly at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 11:40:09 UTC 2020

Hi, folks,

I used to type systemctl reboot with non-privileged users, and to my
surprise, the system goes down for the reboot.

I've tested in both debian and centos 7, they act the same, however,
systemctl halt will prompt you to enter administrator password to continue.

Is it default behavior by design? I dont think a non-privileged user could
reboot the system as he/she wishes.

btw, I'm in an HPC related domain, if this behavior of systemctl is
allowed, every single user could reboot the whole cluster as they wish,
it's a disaster.

--
Liu An