[systemd-devel] Online documentation doesn't show versions where a certain feature was introduced

Böszörményi Zoltán zboszor at pr.hu
Fri Sep 4 13:06:13 UTC 2020

Hi,

while I appreciate the extensive online documentation of systemd,
it can be further improved since not everyone uses the
latest-and-greatest version.

I recently found a newly documented feature called ExecCondition=
which would have been nice to use a couple of times if I knew about it.
To my surprise, it was only introduced in systemd 243 so if I am
stuck on an older system with an older systemd version, the documentation
is outright misleading. The NEWS file is not present online and
it's too long to browse through to find every new feature.

Please take a page from the GLIB/GTK maintainers' notebook and indicate
the version where a certain feature was introduced and all the versions
where the same feature was gaining extensions or fixes.

Or a header on the documentation pages saying that "you are reading
documentation for version X, click here for this and that older version",
similarly to the PostgreSQL documentation.

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán Böszörményi