[systemd-devel] Is it meant to be possible to set IO[Read|Write]BandwidthMax on a slice ?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 15:27:29 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 6:19 PM Hadrien Grasland <
hadrien.grasland at ijclab.in2p3.fr> wrote:

> Le 08/04/2021 à 16:11, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> > On Do, 08.04.21 12:24, Hadrien Grasland (
> hadrien.grasland at ijclab.in2p3.fr) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> In a scenario where running benchmarks on dedicated hardware is not
> >> possible, I'm trying to momentarily cap the I/O bandwidth used by
> >> interactive user sessions while benchmarks are running, in order to
> improve
> >> the stability of said benchmark's I/O performance.
> > Is this on cgroupsv1 or cgroupsv2?
> >
> > IIRC there was some issue that the block io controller wasn't fully
> > recursive on cgroupsv1. It should work on cgroupsv2.
>
> This is on a hybrid cgroup configuration. I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed
> that modern systemd (v246) will use the cgroups v2 hierarchy in that
> case, even though cgroups v1 is still exposed for compatibility with
> older apps.

If e.g. the io controller is exposed through cgroups v1, as far as I know
it cannot be simultaneously used through cgroups v2, and vice versa.

(Hmm, wasn't there an option to choose which controllers to assign to v1
and which ones to v2?)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas