[systemd-devel] [EXT] [systemd‑devel] no log information about why machine is sleeping

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Fri Aug 13 12:13:16 UTC 2021

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:05:29 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> > I suppose that's possible, though I haven't been able to find anywhere
> > that's configured.  (I'll ask again on the Fedora list to be sure.)  In
> > the places where I know I've manually configured it (e.g., in the KDE
> > power settings), it's not supposed to sleep at all when it's on AC
> > power.
>
> Amazingly in my Leap 15 system it's GNOME that triggers it: If I'm not
> logged in, no suspend happens, but when I have a GNOME session suspend
> happens.

I don't think any actual person was logged in, but gdm was running.  And
apparently gdm starts gsd-power, the gnome-settings power demon.  I
haven't yet been able to find where gsd-power gets its settings, but maybe
it's that, together with treating network activity as "activity" for the
purposes of deciding when to sleep.  Does anyone here know?

If it was gsd-power that was putting the machine to sleep, it wasn't
putting anything in the log saying that.