[systemd-devel] Mounting a new device to a mount point with an old (auto-generated) but inactive mount unit triggers an immediate unmount

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at frittentheke.de
Thu Jul 8 07:12:25 UTC 2021

Hey Silvio,

On 07/07/2021 20:04, Silvio Knizek wrote:
> after touching /etc/fstab you're supposed to run `systemctl daemon-
> reload` to re-trigger the generators. This is in fact a feature to
> announce changes in configuration files to systemd. See
> man:systemd.generator for more information.

Thanks for the quick reply and the kind hint to the (right) documentation.

I am then just wondering why the issue referred to
(https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1741) is still open?
Are there still further plans to make systemd properly recognize that
the inactive unit (pointing to a mount point that is used in a new and
active unit) actually is superseeded and unmounting it makes now sense
as that hits the new, working, active mount.

In any case I'd suggest then is to somehow give a warning to the user as
with changes to the systemd units:
   "Warning: myfancyservice.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl
daemon-reload' to reload units."

Otherwise the "reaction" of an unmount to a just successfully happend
mount is still quite surprising to a user.

Regards

Christian