[systemd-devel] Reloading configuration after mount unit

Norbert Lange nolange79 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:04:02 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have an extra mount for /usr/local (Tools + Services which are just
useful for development), classically done vie /etc/fstab.

Now there are a few systemd services within /usr/local/lib and systemd
does not seem to load/reload those and start the ones that add a
sysinit.wants.

currently I have to do the following to get a "full start":
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl start default.target

What would be the correct way to cause systemd to reevaluate configuration?
I get that this generally could lead to bad behaviour (endless
reconfiguration if cycles),
but for something hierarchical like mount-paths it should be possible.

I could think of a unit having an after/requires to usr-local.mount or
using a path unit watching PathChanged=/usr/local/lib/systemd.
At any rate, I am not sure how I could tell systemd to start new units
wanted by eg.
sysinit.target if this was already fully started. `systemctl start
default.target` seems
a bit dangerous.

Another, less important issue is that I cant set lazy unmount in fstab.

Norbert.