[systemd-devel] Odd effect when using systemd-analyze verify in RPM %check

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 15 16:04:46 UTC 2021

On Mo, 15.03.21 16:54, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> While constructing a new RPM package I tried "systemd-analyze verify" as %check, resulting in:
> Failed to open /dev/tty0: Permission denied
>
> However:
> > ll /dev/tty /dev/tty0
> crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 5, 0 Mar 15 16:26 /dev/tty
> crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 0 Mar 11 10:11 /dev/tty0
>
> What's the issue with running "systemd-analyze verify" and non-root?

This has been fixed a long time ago.

/dev/tty0 is the foreground console, so it changes identity whenever
you switch VT.

"systemd-analyze verify" ultimately just runs the service manager with
different parameters, and there was a bug once upon a time, where the
service manager would use /dev/tty0 as it does when running PID1, but
of course it should not when running on a console.

Maybe update to something less ancient, or ask your distro to backport
the fix.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin