[systemd-devel] Waiting udev jobs

Alan Perry alanp at snowmoose.com
Sat Mar 27 15:10:53 UTC 2021

> On Mar 27, 2021, at 05:46, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>
> On Fr, 26.03.21 23:24, Alan Perry (alanp at snowmoose.com) wrote:
>
>> I occasionally see a problem where systemd-analyze reports that boot
>> did not complete and it is suggested that I use systemctl list-jobs
>> to find out more. That shows a .device service job and some sub-jobs
>> (associated with udev rules) all waiting. They will wait for literal
>> days in this state. When I accessed the system, it wasn’t apparent
>> what the jobs were waiting on since all of the device symlinks and
>> such were there and working. The systemctl status of the .device
>> service was alive.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what is going on and/or how to figure out what is
>> going on?
>>
>> If you have followed my posts here previously, it should come as no
>> surprise that the device that I observed this happen with was one of
>> the emmc boot devices.
>
> This is not enough information. Please provide "systemctl status" info
> on the relevant units and jobs, please provide a dump of the output.
>
> And most importantly, always start with the systemd version number you
> are using, and whether you have any weird udev rules or so, or just
> plain upstream stuff.

While I am now looking at a specific problem, I am asking a general question. There might be future situations where I see a udev job waiting. Is there a general way to find out what it is waiting on? Does it depend on what systems version is being run?

I can answer the questions you asked later. I don’t have all of the answers off the top of my head.

alan