[systemd-devel] Waiting udev jobs

Alan Perry alanp at snowmoose.com
Sun Mar 28 05:20:22 UTC 2021

On 3/27/21 5:38 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fr, 26.03.21 23:24, Alan Perry (alanp at snowmoose.com) wrote:
>
>> I occasionally see a problem where systemd-analyze reports that boot
>> did not complete and it is suggested that I use systemctl list-jobs
>> to find out more. That shows a .device service job and some sub-jobs
>> (associated with udev rules) all waiting. They will wait for literal
>> days in this state. When I accessed the system, it wasn’t apparent
>> what the jobs were waiting on since all of the device symlinks and
>> such were there and working. The systemctl status of the .device
>> service was alive.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what is going on and/or how to figure out what is
>> going on?
>>
>> If you have followed my posts here previously, it should come as no
>> surprise that the device that I observed this happen with was one of
>> the emmc boot devices.
> This is not enough information. Please provide "systemctl status" info
> on the relevant units and jobs, please provide a dump of the output.

I don't have access to that info at the moment. IIRC ...

dev-disk-by\x2dpath-platform\x2d68cf1000.sdhci\x2dboot0.device and
sys-devices-platform…mc0:0001-block-mmcblk0-mmcblk0boot0.device returned
"Active: inactive(dead)" and not much else.

dev-mmcblk0boot0.device returned "Active: active (plugged)". There was
more, but I don't remember what else.

> And most importantly, always start with the systemd version number you
> are using,

v247 plus patches

>   and whether you have any weird udev rules or so, or just
> plain upstream stuff.

plain, upstream rules.

I am trying to figure out what to look at when I have access to the
system exhibiting the problem that I am trying to resolve.

alan