[systemd-devel] Unable to boot Linux distribution ISO files that have systemd services

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:51:39 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 2:40 PM EpicLemon99 <EpicLemon99 at protonmail.com>
wrote:

> I am unable to boot up ISO files of Linux distributions that use systemd.
> My computer is a HP Pavilion TG01-2856no, it is recent hardware. The boot
> gets stuck when it tries to start systemd services, such as Network Time
> Synchronization.
>
> For example, there are the messages I get when trying to boot up the Arch
> Linux ISO: https://imgur.com/a/oKGjZk7
>
> Booting it with the kernel argument init=/bin/bash however works.

Boot it with the 'systemd.debug-shell' option and take a look (via tty9) at
what systemd-udevd is doing. I'm guessing that one of its worker processes
tried to interact with a device (e.g. read information from /sys or do some
active probing), but due to either hardware issue or driver bug, the
syscall got stuck in the kernel and never returned. So check
/proc/PID/stack of the udev worker processes, I guess?

(The same issue might be occurring even on installed systems, only they
don't *wait* for udev to finish handling every single device
(systemd-udev-settle), so the process might just remain hung in background.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas