[systemd-devel] Unable to boot Linux distribution ISO files that have systemd services

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 2 09:23:15 UTC 2021

On Mi, 01.09.21 11:39, EpicLemon99 (EpicLemon99 at protonmail.com) wrote:

> I am unable to boot up ISO files of Linux distributions that use systemd. My computer is a HP Pavilion TG01-2856no, it is recent hardware. The boot gets stuck when it tries to start systemd services, such as Network Time Synchronization.
>
> For example, there are the messages I get when trying to boot up the Arch Linux ISO: https://imgur.com/a/oKGjZk7
>
> Booting it with the kernel argument init=/bin/bash however works.

The second screenshot shows that you have some kernel issue, i.e. the
upper part of the screen shows kernel debug output that happens on
kernel oops.

i.e. it's a driver issue, and systemd hangs simply because the kernel
hangs/crashed.

Please work with your distro, they might be able to
help. Kernel/driver issues like this are out of scope for systemd
though.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin