[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: Splitting sd-boot from systemd/bootctl for enabling sd-boot in Fedora

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Apr 28 08:11:49 UTC 2022

<CAEg-Je-uUnZTgw_QHp-8sPXB4wFbgOFPRUNXucxr=cdFEqoE+Q at mail.gmail.com>:

>> E.g. the biggest development in how the boot looks in recent years
>> in Fedora has been hiding on the boot menus and boot messages by
>> default. I.e. the _design_ is that you start with the logo of the
>> manufacturer which is seamlessly replaced by the gdm login screen.
>> How the boot menu looks never factors into any of this.
>>

> Hiding them by default doesn't mean making them scary and semi-useless
> when you access them. Most people don't access UEFI menus very often,
> if at all, and yet a huge amount of investment went into making that
> UX better than it was in the past. Is it spectacular? No. Is it less
> scary? Absolutely.

Actually without systemd it's good, but with systemd you just experience minutes of delay (while systemd waits for something that isn't working) while you don't see what's going on.
So I disable all those quiet and silent options. The boot looks really messy then (as nobody ever consideerd having boot messages on the console), but I'm less bored while waiting for the network cards to configure, disks being discovered and multipaths being collected...

Maybe those system should log boot messages on tty1, but switch to tty2 (and continue from there) for users that don't care about details.
Traditionally the "system console" was not intended for "users" (but for administrators).

Regards,
Ulrich