[systemd-devel] Passive vs Active targets

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Feb 15 16:46:43 UTC 2022

--On Tuesday, February 15, 2022 11:52 AM +0100 Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> Yes, rsyslog.service should definitely not pull in network.target. (I
> am not sure why a syslog implementation would bother with
> network.target at all, neither Wants= nor After= really makes any
> sense. i.e. if people want rsyslog style logging but it would be
> delayed until after network is up then this would mean they could
> never debug DHCP leases or so with it, which sounds totally backwards
> to me. But then again, I am not an rsyslog person, so maybe I
> misunderstand what it is supposed to do.)

Presumably it's to run the log server for other hosts. (I use it to log for
my routers and IoT devices.)

On RHEL/CentOS, rsyslog uses imjournal to read the systemd journal so
presumably DHCP debugging messages would be retrieved from that.

<https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/modules/imjournal.html>

[Please reply to list. No need to cc me.]