[systemd-devel] Passive vs Active targets

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 15 17:04:55 UTC 2022

On Di, 15.02.22 08:46, Kenneth Porter (shiva at sewingwitch.com) wrote:

> --On Tuesday, February 15, 2022 11:52 AM +0100 Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>
> > Yes, rsyslog.service should definitely not pull in network.target. (I
> > am not sure why a syslog implementation would bother with
> > network.target at all, neither Wants= nor After= really makes any
> > sense. i.e. if people want rsyslog style logging but it would be
> > delayed until after network is up then this would mean they could
> > never debug DHCP leases or so with it, which sounds totally backwards
> > to me. But then again, I am not an rsyslog person, so maybe I
> > misunderstand what it is supposed to do.)
>
> Presumably it's to run the log server for other hosts. (I use it to log for
> my routers and IoT devices.)

Well, I presumed people actually ran it because they want traditional
/var/log/messages files or so. But if that's not the case...

> On RHEL/CentOS, rsyslog uses imjournal to read the systemd journal so
> presumably DHCP debugging messages would be retrieved from that.

Sure, but that means if people use /var/log/messages to look for DHCP
issues it won't see anything until DHCP was actually acquired, which
makes it useless fo debugging DHCP...

Lennart Poettering, Berlin