[systemd-devel] How to find out the processes systemd-shutdown is waiting for?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 2 16:22:24 UTC 2022

On Mi, 02.03.22 13:02, Arian van Putten (arian.vanputten at gmail.com) wrote:

> I've seen this a lot with docker/containerd. It seems as if for some reason
> systemd doesn't wait for their  cgroups to cleaned up on shutdown. It's
> very easy to reproduce. Start a docker container and then power off the
> machine. Since the move to cgroups V2 containerd should be using systemd to
> manage the cgroup tree so a bit puzzling why it's always happening.
>
> Something seems to be off with containerd's integration into systemd but
> I'm not sure what.

Docker traditionally has not followed any of our documented ways to
interact with cgroups, even though they were made aware of them, not
sure why, I think some systemd hate plays a role there. I am not sure
if this has changed, but please contact Docker if you have issues with
Docker, they have to fix their stuff themselves, we cannot work around
it.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin