[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: [systemd‑devel] How to find out the processes systemd‑shutdown is waiting for?

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 09:01:03 UTC 2022

On 04/03/2022 07:20, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> Docker traditionally has not followed any of our documented ways to
> You are implying that "our documented ways" is a definitive standard?

cgroups is a THIRD PARTY to both Docker and systemd. If Docker doesn't
document what they're doing, how is systemd to know how to avoid
stepping on their toes?

>> interact with cgroups, even though they were made aware of them, not
>> sure why, I think some systemd hate plays a role there. I am not sure
>> if this has changed, but please contact Docker if you have issues with
>> Docker, they have to fix their stuff themselves, we cannot work around
>> it.

> The problem with systemnd (people) is that they try to establish new standards
> outside of systemd.

The problem with NIH is it makes working with (all) linux distros a
pain. ESPECIALLY when they consider "doesn't work with systemd" a
feature. ESPECIALLY when they adhere to the - all too common, sadly -
mantra "Always see in others your own worst faults".

Eg one systemd standard I find EXTREMELY useful, even if it is trivial
... "store the system name in /etc/hostname". I first met that before
even Linux was born! The number of times I've struggled to find the
local hostname because the *nix I was using shoved it in all sorts of
strange places ...

Cheers,
Wol