[systemd-devel] Antw: [EXT] Re: [systemd‑devel] How to find out the processes systemd‑shutdown is waiting for?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Mar 4 09:20:52 UTC 2022

On Fr, 04.03.22 08:20, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> >> Something seems to be off with containerd's integration into systemd but
> >> I'm not sure what.
> >
> > Docker traditionally has not followed any of our documented ways to
>
> You are implying that "our documented ways" is a definitive
> standard?

Not sure what a "standard" is, but yeah, systemd defines a non-trivial
part of the APIs of general purpose Linux distributions.

> > interact with cgroups, even though they were made aware of them, not
> > sure why, I think some systemd hate plays a role there. I am not sure
> > if this has changed, but please contact Docker if you have issues with
> > Docker, they have to fix their stuff themselves, we cannot work around
> > it.
>
> The problem with systemnd (people) is that they try to establish new standards
> outside of systemd.
>
> "If A does not work with systemd", it's always A that is broken, never systemd
> ;-)

It's a stack of software. The lower layers dictate how the upper layers
interact with the lower layers, not the other way around. Yes, systemd
has bugs, but here we are not at fault, we document our interfaces,
but Docker knowingly goes its own way, and there's little I can do
about it.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin