[systemd-devel] version bump of minimal kernel version supported by systemd?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 28 15:12:44 UTC 2022

On Do, 24.03.22 10:28, Luca Boccassi (bluca at debian.org) wrote:

> > What I am trying to say is that it would actually help us a lot if
> > we'd not just be able to take croupv2 for granted but to take a
> > reasonably complete cgroupv2 for granted.
> >
> > Lennart
> >
> > --
> > Lennart Poettering, Berlin
>
> Yes, that does sound like worth exploring - our README doesn't document
> it though, do we have a list of required controllers and when they were
> introduced?

So I'd argue cgroupsv2 was pretty useless before 4.15, since it lacked
the cpu controller, which I'd argue is actually the one that matters
most. hence, before 4.15 cgroupsv2 was an experiment, not something
you could actually deploy.

some other interesting milestones:

* kcmp → 3.5
* renameat2 on all relevant file systems → 4.0
* pids controller in cgroupv1 → 4.3
* pids controller in cgroupv2 → 4.5
* cgroup namespaces → 4.6
* statx → 4.11
* pidfd → 5.3

This is just some quick search through man pages. There might be a lot
of other stuff that would make sense for us to be able to rely on.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin