[systemd-devel] certificate and trust store feature for systemd

SCOTT FIELDS Scott.Fields at kyndryl.com
Wed May 25 18:59:04 UTC 2022

The only tools I know of that manage the files in /etc/pki are part of “ca-certificates” and they only manage the CAs, not general app specific public/private keys.

And even so, command line tools aren’t APIs.

The prime reason you want an actual API that’s widely available is it encourages other solution providers to leverage it.

Again, the CAPI/CNG API in Windows Is an example.

You can very easily manage all kinds of key management via a central API, and in turn, you can then leverage that infrastructure in other tools.

What I would then like to see is an engine for OpenSSL be able to leverage this and then have access to the keychain infrastructure without the file management involved.

This is something you can do with OpenSSL on Windows via the CAPI engine (or other API solutions that have their own engine solution in OpenSSL), for instance.

Since most secure products in Linux use OpenSSL, this almost immediately would also give them access to a centrally managed keystore.

That’s what I would like to see.