[systemd-devel] [EXT] Re: Re: "OnUnitInactiveSec Timer not firing" issue

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Wed Jul 31 07:14:04 UTC 2024

On Wed, 31 Jul 2024, Windl, Ulrich wrote:
[...]
> You wrote "... starting the service manually (or "enabling" it, to be
> started on boot) would be redundant.", but you also wrote "
> OnUnitInactiveSec begins counting when service gets stopped. How is this
> timer supposed to start a service that was never active (and hence never
> stopped) before?" Isn't that a contradiction? So my question " Can you
> explain where OnUnitInactiveSec would make sense?" IS justified IMHO.
> And I think there is no reason to be unfriendly unless you want users
> "go away".

The service can still be started in other ways, e.g. with `systemctl
start`, through socket or path activation, or by being pulled in as a
dependency of another unit.

Also, you can combine `OnUnitInactiveSec=` with other directives. For
instance, you might combine it with `OnBootSec=` so that it fires at a
particular time after boot, and then some period after each service
deactivation.