[Tango-artists] Intern position filled

Matt Chaput matt at sidefx.com
Sun Apr 16 01:07:24 PDT 2006

Just wanted to let the list know we (Side Effects Software Inc.)
found someone for the internship from one of the local design
schools... presumably someone who still lives with their parents ;)

As an aside, I thought I'd share an idea I had...

My original bizarre idea, after I realized I'd never have the time to
do the icons myself, but before we managed to get the money
authorized for an intern, was that I would make an offer to the
entire icon designing community to pay $10 cash money for each icon
off a list (out of my own pocket -- that's how desperate I was).
Anybody could choose to do any icon and if it was good enough, I'd
send them $10 (CDN, but it's almost like real money) and it would be
released under the same CCL as Tango.

It's probably crazy, and it would probably drive a corporate
accountant mad. But I wonder if it could work. There are enough
people out there doing icons and giving them away. Not all of them of
equal talent, but... I wonder if the talented ones would say to
themselves "Self, I was going to do an icon of a duck for nothing,
but if I do an icon of a film camera I get $10 (or $8, or 5
pounds...) and I can at least supersize my fries tonight!"

It's sort of a micro-multi-Summer-Of-Icons.

Oh well, the great experiment will have to wait...

Matt