[Tango-artists] suspend to disk and suspend to ram icons

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Wed Apr 26 07:25:42 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 13:48 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 14:26 +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 12:24 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > Jakub has done me some great suspend to disk (hibernate) and suspend to
> > > ram (suspend) icons for gnome-power-manager, which are great. (Which
> > > I've attached)
> >
> > Hi Richard,
> > the reason I created these icons for PM was simply because I don't think
> > you'd listen if I told you to remove those icons completely and it's
> > better to have nice looking icons that make little sense than ugly
> > ones ;).
>
> Ohh, you would be surprised! You can disable the s2r and s2d icons by
> disabling the gconf key /apps/gnome-power-manager/show_actions_in_menu
> which has been in CVS for ages. This is what Redhat do in FC5.

Given the name of the key, this implies that the actions just aren't in
the menu, not that they are there and don't have icons, which is a
totally different thing.

> > Nice shiny artwork to compensate for poor UI is not a good thing to do.
> > For example I think presenting a dialog with 6 buttons for reboot,
> > shutdown, hibernate, sleep, lock screen and switch user is a terrible
> > interface and trying to come up with nice icons for those actions is
> > like patching your sails while the boat is sinking.
>
> Sure, I'm just waiting for g-p-m to be more tightly integrated with
> gnome, and then we can make all this stuff logical and easy.

The longer you wait, the more people will complain when the icons do go
away. It seems better to me to fix the issues right off, and push to
have better integration with gnome at the same time. If you try to do it
piecemeal, you're going to end up with odd half-integrated pieces
somewhere along the line, and it's going to be nasty.

-- dobey