[Tango-artists] suspend to disk and suspend to ram icons

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 05:48:50 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 14:26 +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 12:24 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Jakub has done me some great suspend to disk (hibernate) and suspend to
> > ram (suspend) icons for gnome-power-manager, which are great. (Which
> > I've attached)
>
> Hi Richard,
> the reason I created these icons for PM was simply because I don't think
> you'd listen if I told you to remove those icons completely and it's
> better to have nice looking icons that make little sense than ugly
> ones ;).

Ohh, you would be surprised! You can disable the s2r and s2d icons by
disabling the gconf key /apps/gnome-power-manager/show_actions_in_menu
which has been in CVS for ages. This is what Redhat do in FC5.

> Nice shiny artwork to compensate for poor UI is not a good thing to do.
> For example I think presenting a dialog with 6 buttons for reboot,
> shutdown, hibernate, sleep, lock screen and switch user is a terrible
> interface and trying to come up with nice icons for those actions is
> like patching your sails while the boat is sinking.

Sure, I'm just waiting for g-p-m to be more tightly integrated with
gnome, and then we can make all this stuff logical and easy.

Thanks for the followup,

Richard.