[Tango-artists] Folder icon should have more suitable colour (yellow)

John C Barstow jbowtie at amathaine.com
Mon Feb 27 01:42:20 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 17:34 +0100, Petr Tomeš wrote:
> Yellow folder icons has been familiar to most users of leading Open Source
> projects for past several years and even to most computer users for
> more than 10 years. Please consider suitable change in Tango icon set.
> Thank you.

I don't think that "everyone else does it" is a very sound argument -
*especially* for artists. And I for one have not seen a manila folder in
quite some years.

My objection to the blue colour is more aesthetic; it doesn't reflect
the primary colour of my chosen theme. However, the debate is not
extremely fruitful as both the icon naming spec and guidelines are the
real product of the tango project.

As icons are art, it is inevitable that new themes will arise to reflect
different priorities; however if they hew to the naming spec they will
easily be interchangeable, and if they follow the artistic guidelines
they can be just a successful with a completely different palette.

Tango is not going to be the only theme, or even a particularly complete
one from some perspectives. What it is (already) achieving is the
elimination of arbitrary filenames and showing how to build a
*consistent* icon theme with a wide variety of contributors.