[Tango-artists] Feet?!

Nathan Willis listbot at glyphography.com
Sun Jan 15 19:59:44 PST 2006

On 1/15/06, Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com> wrote:

> Start-here is pretty much a placeholder no distribution will really
> ship. You will see distro or vendor branding in place of start-here most
> of the time.

That's always bothered me when I see it, for some reason.  Maybe it's the
corporate logos themselves, maybe it's the fact that the distro doesn't own
the software that I access through the menu, or maybe it's just the fact
that I think of my box as "a Linux system" not "an Ubuntu system" or "a
Fedora system."  In any event, my preference is to replace it.  On my
personal machines, I like to replace the vendor-supplied start logo with a
penguin (not the official Tux, one I put together to look good small and a
little less cartoonish).

Sure, not everybody uses Linux.  But it's a more fitting start logo than
anything else for those of us who are running Linux, and without it, you
could go your entire life running Linux without ever actually seeing a
representation of the mascot as part of the system.

Maybe that's just me.

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis