[Tango-artists] display perspective suggestion, shadows.

Jakub Steiner jimmac at ximian.com
Mon Jul 17 05:00:52 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 14:50 +0400, Sacrat wrote:

> Well, Jakub,
> So far I'm submitting PNG files without shadows at all, so what would
> you think about not making them a part of the icon? This way shadows
> (round, drop shadow, etc...) could be done automatically or
> semi-automatically so we have no "shadow zoo".

I don't think that will work. Most of the icons have on the table
perspective and getting that done somehow automatically is crack. As for
the SVGs, there's a couple of solutions:

      * Use a radial gradient for round objects
      * Use a tri-object hack using two radial and a three point linear
        gradinet (see tango icon theme scalables)
      * Create a black shadow object and assign the blur effect manually
        in a text editor. There used to be a bug in rsvg rendering the
        blur effect shifted a pixel to the right. I believe it has been
        fixed in the meantime.

> P.S.: what do you think about my suggestion about displays? If needful,
> I could redraw these icons.

Personally I have absolutely no problem with the tilted display, but
many people think the perspective is broken (don't get the tilted
display bit), so maybe we could go for a boring face-on for the 22x22
and perhaps even the scalable. Are you going to give it a go?

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at ximian.com>