[Tango-artists] display perspective suggestion, shadows.

Sacrat sacrat at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 03:50:57 PDT 2006

Jakub Steiner пишет:
> On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 18:27 +0400, Sacrat wrote:
>
>> Tango has lots of icons featuring displays (video-display, etc...).
>> Unfortunately doe to a presence of perspective on small resolutions
>> they're not "crystal clear".
>> My suggestion: straighten displays for non-svg versions so they have
>> pisel-clear borders. Now 16x16 ok (just no room for manipulations) but
>> 22 and 32 version sizes are slightly  rough. Especially 22x22 bitmap as
>> non-straight lines at that resolution often look awful.
>> What do you think? I'm not an Inkscape user but if needful could make a
>> fix in other editors.
>>
>> P.S.: could anyone explain me the "add shadow" policy? Most icons have
>> them while some (preferences-desktop-peripherals, input-mouse, etc...)
>> don't. Besides, making shadows every time anew is a kind of perversion I
>> suppose.
>> So, two suggestions:
>> 1. either document shadow creation in a guide
>> 2. or just make PNG templates anyone can use so there're no "alien" shadows
>>

> Howdy.
>
> We haven't been verbose about shadows in the spec yet, mainly due to
> technical barriers in the free software toolset. We're still using
> 'hacks' around the limitations we have.
>
> The icons that don't have a shadow right now would have the simple
> dropshadow using gaussian blur effect if it was easily achievable. We
> also used this fairly stylized round shadow for all the icons and are in
> process of getting rid of that.
>
> My take on this is that all icons except for the 16x16 should cast a
> shadow depending on their perspective and surface placement. But you are
> absolutely right, that part of the guidelines should be written
> eventually.

Well, Jakub,
So far I'm submitting PNG files without shadows at all, so what would
you think about not making them a part of the icon? This way shadows
(round, drop shadow, etc...) could be done automatically or
semi-automatically so we have no "shadow zoo".

P.S.: what do you think about my suggestion about displays? If needful,
I could redraw these icons.