[Tango-artists] CC-SA and compositions

Pierre Ossman drzeus-list at drzeus.cx
Mon Jun 26 03:02:00 PDT 2006

Hi!

At the company[1] I work for, we've been thinking about freshening up
some of our images a bit. Since we need some generic images of
computers, I started looking at using the Tango icons, which are a lot
nicer than anything we could produce ourselves. :)

My question is now how the license should be interpreted with regards to
simple compositions using Tango icons. We normally have no issue with
releasing stuff under liberal licenses since we're mostly a OSS shop.
Our concern here is losing our trademarks if we include any of our
logotypes in the same image as a Tango icon. Reserving our trademark
right would probably be incompatible with the CC-SA license.

So where is the line drawn? As soon as any part of a Tango artwork is
present in an image, or just when you start making changes to the icon
itself?

I've included one image (without any logotypes of course ;)) so that
everyone can see what I'm talking about.

[1] http://www.cendio.com

Rgds
Pierre