[Tango-artists] Commercial closed Source Application and Tango Icons

William Szilveszter wszilveszter at gmail.com
Thu May 4 12:55:18 PDT 2006

Matt, of course:

"means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other
pre-existing works [...] in which the Work may be recast, transformed,
or adapted..."

Even changing one pixel is a transformation. Rotation is an image
transformation or adaptation. As it stands, any type of manipulation,
yes even a mere pixel discolouration, or movement counts as an
adaptation or transformation. Even image resizing falls under these
"guidelines." Basically we are talking about any type of post-processing
to the image.

Transformation is: "To change the nature, function, or condition of;
convert"

Your argument begins there and I would say that any change to the image
itself (which is what is being copyrighted here) constitutes such a
"change," no matter how small.

The license is clear enough in this respect and if someone wants to
raise these very minute discrepancies or trivial concerns, then that is
for the courts, and you would need to show why rotation or resizing is
not considered transformation or adaptation (something which I believe
would be very difficult to argue for).

If you edit the path or file name, that has nothing to do with the image
itself (and as such, falls outside of what we are dealing with here) and
would not hold much water if taken to court. I could see a successful
and perhaps rather easy argument that image file names or paths are not
what is being copyrighted here.

However, legal contracts are always open for interpretation and that is
why we have lawyers.

I understand that arguments can be made for portions of the CC license,
but for the purposes here, the above CC seems more than sufficient,
though not without argument; however, none of them are  very strong, if
at all defensible.

Cheers,

Will