[Tango-artists] New size proposal 32x32

Jakub Steiner jimmac at novell.com
Tue May 30 12:15:42 PDT 2006

Hi folks,
today Lapo has again brought up [1] something I've been thinking about a
couple of times. In the style guidelines we defined three basic sizes.

A scalable art is drawn on a 48x48 pixel grid and was meant to be used
anywhere else than 16x16 and 22x22. However in practice the often used
32x32 lacks the crispness of Tango (TM). 32x32 is used heavily on SLED
for example - the menu slab (or the panel menu in SUSE),  the app
browser, the control center, YAST. It's also used on Windows
extensively.

What do you guys think about adding an optional 32x32 bitmap size?

The disadvantage of course is having to maintain another size. Creating
32x32 out of 48x48 scalable is a matter of scaling down and
repositioning elements a bit. Yet there's administrative overhead too
(Makefiles, CVS...). Lapo Calamandrei has volunteered to maintain 32x32
for tango base.

cheers

[1] - http://xoomer.virgilio.it/bat/tango/tango-icon-theme.tar.bz2

--