[Tango-artists] Tango Showroom page

Jakub Steiner jimmac at novell.com
Wed Nov 28 03:23:34 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 17:13 +0100, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Some time ago, Jakub set up the Tango Showroom page [1] in the wiki on
> the Tango website.
> The intent of the page was to show off some popular projects using the
> style guidelines for their icons in their applications. We wanted to
> keep the list of apps short, effective and of high quality.
> Therefore I was wondering if we can remove Phex and AyEyePad from the
> list, as these apps are merely reusing icons from tango-icon-theme (not
> drawing a lot of new icons, like GIMP) and isn't as well known as, say
> GIMP, VMWare or OpenOffice.

Hi Andreas,
completely agree. While I haven't really laid out the goals for the
page, I thought it was obvious for the page to demonstrate how the Tango
style is effective in its main goals - fitting into existing
environments, and it's acceptance across the major free software
projects.

Obviously we want to show some high profile projects such as OpenOffice
or GIMP. Obviously as soon as we get our Firefox 3 work done, it's going
in there.

But that doesn't mean that small projects have no chance. If something
tango-styled runs on the mac or windows, and uses some custom
tango-styled icons, it's a good candidate to being included. We do want
to limit the number of feature projects though. Perhaps we just include
links to projects at the end of the page. This is what I intend to do,
unless somebody wants to explain why this would be bad.

> I also think it would be a good idea to bring up apps that one thinks
> should be good for inclusion on the page before adding them. Also if
> someone thinks something doesn't belong in there, please say. I would
> definitely want to see Firefox 3.0 on the page as soon as we have that
> out of the door for example.

As there have been some reverts I had to do because of a rather lacking
quality of screenshots, I second your suggestion to request additions to
the page here on the list. I've made the page protected.

thanks for understanding

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com>
Novell, Inc.