[Tango-artists] Tryin' to figure out what to do

Hylke Bons h.bons at student.rug.nl
Sat Aug 9 13:01:34 PDT 2008

What's wrong with http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines ?

Hylke

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Ryan Henningsen <xryancat at gmail.com> wrote:

    On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:46 AM, J-R DUBOC <jr.duboc at gmail.com
    <mailto:jr.duboc at gmail.com>> wrote:

        Hi guys,
        I'm a newby (sort of : I've been using Ubuntu a little over the past
        three years, but I didn't go that deed into themes management), and
        I'm thinking about maybe helping the Tango project, as I use
        Inkscape
        a lot and am very interested in interface design.
        I was wondering if you could link me to a couple tutorials/document
        pages that would explain to me how to :
        - design icons and implement theme in a theme (wich image
        format, how
        to "pack" them, how to install them, on GNOME and KDE)
        - know which tasks are pending for the Tango project (is there
        an RSS
        feed to subscribe to or something ?)
        - add my own work to the tango project (is there an SVN or CVS
        system
        in place, what kind of people have access to it, etc.)

        Thank you in advance,

        --
        Jean-Rémy Duboc

    Here is the Tango CVS checkout:

    cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs at anoncvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/tango login
    cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs at anoncvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/tango co tango-icon-theme

    The best way to learn is to just view the SVG files and modify them.
    You can start by making them different colors and then make new
    icons based of of them. You can see how shadows and highlights work.
    You might also want to check out the gnome-icon-theme project, which
    are also styled under the Tango guidelines.

    I don't think their is a set collection of tutorials to design GNOME
    icons... They are packaged with the icon-naming-utils to fit with
    the Gnome and KDE icon specifications. Then a simple config script
    is included and they are archived.

    As far as pending designs, I'm not sure if there is anyplace to
    check. The Tango set in its current state is pretty complete.
    Although not as complete as the Gnome version.

    Perhaps we should make a tutorial to help people skilled with
    graphics and design to contribute?

    Edit: I forgot to send to the main mailing list...

    --
    Ryan Henningsen