[Tango-artists] license compatibility when bundling in web software

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 07:50:40 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 16:07 +0200, Fabrizio Balliano wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I saw that licensing is a recurring argument here in the list, hope
> I'll raise a different point off view.
>
> I'm developing an AGPL3 web software which needs some icons. Due to
> the fact that's web based it obviously can't seek icons in the same
> way a desktop application does but I've to bundle icons in the
> package.
>
> This raises licensing issue because tango is CC and it seems (I'm
> reading many different opinions) that I can't budle/distribute tango
> icon theme in that software.

I don't know what the AGPL3 is. To use the Tango Icon Theme icons, you
must comply with the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5
license. If the AGPL3 license conflicts with the requirements for our
license, then obviously there is a problem.

> Can someone confirm this issue?

Since none of us are lawyers, not really. But your legal adviser should
be able to interpret both licenses and provide a solution. :)

-- Rodney