[Tango-artists] Derivative or not?

Simon Pascal Klein klepas at klepas.org
Tue Oct 21 15:20:44 PDT 2008

On 28/09/2008, at 8:02 PM, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:

> Hi all, again :)
>
> Since nobody answered my licensing question, I think it's best to
> "recast" the question to the real root of my licensing problem:
> derivative work or collective work?
>
> Shipping a Tango icon with an application that uses that icon in a
> ".desktop" file (meaning that the path to the icon is hardcoded in the
> file), makes the entire bundle a "Collective work" or a "Derivative
> work"? If the answer is "Collective work", I assume that the same
> applies even if the icon is modified (per CC-BY-SA section 4.b).

I’m not a lawyer, but I would wager that, given you’re not making any
changes to the icon itself this would count as a collective work.

> If instead of the above the icon is not only used in a ".desktop"
> file,
> but it's used as a window icon (meaning that the path to the icon is
> hardcoded in the application source instead), is the entire bundle
> (icon
> + application) a "Collective work" or a "Derivative work"?

Logically, I would say again the former, but I’m not a layer.

> Last but not least: if nobody says nothing and I finally ship a Tango
> icon with my Artistic 2.0 application, using it even as a window icon,
> without relicensing my app under CC-BY-SA, will you sue me? O:) In
> other
> words: would you consider that use "fair play" (given that Artistic
> 2.0
> is by all means a free software license that promotes sharing) or will
> you consider that a blatant violation of the Tango icons license?

I wouldn’t, and I doubt neither would any of the other artists. Note
though that a large portion of the Tango work is owned by companies
that the artists have worked for (namely Novell). Personally, I’d go
ahead with it and if it becomes a problem you can always cease to
distribute the icon in the future. (:

Regards.

—Pascal