[Tango-artists] Tango in Wine

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 05:17:00 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 10:29 +0100, Joel Holdsworth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking at Wine right now, and wondering about the icon set. As you
> might be able to see from the attached image, it's a really mixed back
> of styles. There's been some discussion in the Wine list lately about
> transitioning the menu icons, to Tango:
>
> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine.svg
> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-notepad.svg
> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-winecfg.svg
> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-winefile.svg
> http://yokozar.org/blog/content/icons/wine-uninstaller.svg
>
> My question is about the embedded icons - e.g. the mydocs.ico,
> mycomputer.ico, desktop.ico etc. These icons appear when you go into the
> file dialogs, and right now they look nasty - especially in 16x16px.
>
> A few months back I discussed moving Wine over to icons from the
> standard Tango icon set. The main sticking point seemed to be the
> licensing conflict between CC and Wine's GPL. Is there are way around
> this?

The icons in tango-icon-theme are Public Domain now, but in this case I
would recommend against including them directly, for most things. It may
be useful to use parts of them to make some of the specific app icons,
though.

> I'm wondering if anyone here is interested in getting involved. It would
> be a job involving some fresh art, and some discussion about the
> licensing issue.

I would recommend having wine follow the Icon Theme Specification, and
load the icons from the system theme this way, to integrate with the
rest of the system. This could be done by writing a driver back-end that
uses GTK+ or Qt to load the icons, or by writing an icon theme
implementation in wine itself. It would also be really sweet if there
was a GTK+ display driver in wine that used GTK+ to draw the widgets, so
that wine apps looked the same as the rest of my system, but that's a
lot more work I think.

-- Rodney