[Telepathy] logging API

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Sun Oct 8 11:40:57 PDT 2006

Ar 07/10/2006 am 15:28, ysgrifennodd Colin Barrett:

> On Oct 7, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Dafydd Harries wrote:
>
> > - Logging
> >   API is not too hard to design -- let's get it done
> >   Should be a sub-UI service
> >   Might suck to have multiple implementations with different storage
> >   (retrieving logs if code bitrots)
>
> Adium, gaim and Kopete are all moving toward the Universal Log Format
> [1] I helped design. I would be happy to lend a hand getting Telepathy
> implementing ULF, and helping implement a logging API. Should we start
> a new thread on this, or is IRC a better place to hash this out?

Awesome; I didn't know about this!

I think this thread is a fine place to think about this. I think the main
things a log API needs to support is searching, and I think the main ways you
want to search are by who the conversation was with, when it took place, and
what you talked about:

 - Who did I talk about X with?
 - When did I talk about X?
 - Who did I talk to last Tuesday?
 - What did I talk about last Tuesday?
 - When did I talk to Bob?

The main thing I have in mind is supporting the kind of log search UI that
Gossip currently has -- I like it a lot, but on the other hand I haven't
really been exposed to other approaches.

I don't think we need to add any API right now to the connection manager for
logging, since it's quite easy for a logger to sit on the session bus and
watch for connections and text channels.

--
Dafydd