[Telepathy] mission control API

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 04:36:12 PDT 2006

Ar 10/10/2006 am 12:18, ysgrifennodd Eitan Isaacson:
> I would add two more, IMHO:
>
>  * Unifying contacts:
> It would be cool if there was some correlation between identical
> contacts. This could allow fallbacks to different CMs depending on the
> contact's availability. A simple use case, I want to message Beth, my
> priorities are: Jabber, MSN, SMS. This means that I will attempt to
> reach her in that order, depending on availability. The CM needs to
> magically unify all these contacts, and needs to give the user a way to
> alter the preferred methods of communication.

You're absolutely right that contact adresses belonging to the same person
should be unified. For Gnome, it's possible for a Telepathy client to do this
by looking up information in EDS, I believe, but perhaps mission control
should do the heavy lifting.

>  * Widget library:
> For desktop MCs it would be nice if they provided a shared library with
> a variety of useful widgets in their respected toolkit (QT/GTK+), that
> would allow any program to display account settings, list CMs and such
> with a unified look. It will use the API you guys proposed. A simple use
> case: A user expects to be able to edit his accounts settings in the
> roster window (which is not part of MC), the roster program (ie.
> Gossip), could simply display the same thing you would see in the MC's
> capplet.

Actually, I was thinking that a libgossip might be a logical place for this
sort of thing in Gnome. Gnome/gtk applications wanting to integrate with
Telepathy could use this library to reuse Gossip's code.

My feeling is that MC should not have UI code, much as Network Manager had a
UI-free D-Bus daemon and panel applet that talks to it.

--
Dafydd