[Telepathy] GossipProtocol problems

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 13:20:43 PDT 2006

Hi,

Here are problems I see with the actual GossipProtocol API:

1) _new_account() can't be used for telepathy because it should take in
arguments the connection manager and the protocol needed.

2) When gossip is compiled with telepathy there is only one
GossipProtocol used, so is it still useful to associate a GossipProtocol
for each GossipAccount ? isn't it easier to have one single
GossipProtocol for all accounts ?

3) _register_[account,cancel]: doesn't have an equivalent in telepathy.
As I understand teleapthy, accounts have a "register" parameter, is it's
set to TRUE we connecting this account, telepathy will automatically
register the account.

4) _is_valid_username, _get_example_username, _get_default_server and
_get_default_port: doesn't seems to have an equivalent in telepathy...
maybe it should be added to the specification ?

5) _is_ssl_supported: useless, just check if there is a parameter like
"old-ssl" in the account.

6) _send_composing: Don't know if it's supported by telepathy ?!?

7) _get_active_resource: how can it work with protocols that doesn't
support resources ?

That's all I can see for now. I add telepathy ML in CC to see their
suggestions, maybe some of those problems can be implemented in
telepathy.

Xavier.