[Telepathy] features request

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 01:44:05 PDT 2006

Le dimanche 15 octobre 2006 à 02:04 +0100, Simon McVittie a écrit :
> I see Daf has already said similar things, but to expand on what he said:
>
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 at 21:16:32 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> > 1) "account" param should have a default value like "user at jabber.org"
> > for gabble, or "user at hotmail.com" for butterfly, "123456789" for ICQ,
> > etc... This is useful to display to the user as example when gossip asks
> > for the ID. Gossip's jabber protocol had an hardcoded "user at jabber.org"
> > but it should be adapted for different protocols.
>
> To clarify based on your other mail, am I right in thinking you don't
> actually mean a *default* value, you mean a *sample* value? This would
> be nice to have for UIs, yes. I think the distinction is important,
> though.

yeah, an example value can make the job. All I need is something to tell
the user what he should fill in.

> > 2) parameters should have a default value depending on the value set for
> > other parameters. For example if old-ssl=false port should get the 5222
> > default value, if old-ssl=true then port=5223. Another example, if I set
> > account=zdra at gmail.com default value for alias should be set to "zdra"
> > and server should be set to "talk.google.com". daf told me this involves
> > DNS lookup...
>
> I don't think it's useful to set a default alias in this way - setting
> the alias parameter in RequestConnection is explicitly saying "I do want
> this alias".
>
> If the user doesn't specifically set an alias in the UI, I think the UI
> should not supply any alias to the CM. The CM is then free to set whatever
> fallback alias it likes - in Gabble we use whatever alias is already set on
> the server (e.g. by another client), and if there is none, we use the JID
> (IIRC).
>
> old-ssl linked to port number I can see your argument for, although when we
> eventually support TLS (the reason the parameter is called old-ssl
> rather than just ssl!) this will hopefully become increasingly irrelevent. I
> understand the lack of SASL/TLS support is a libloudmouth issue? Alternatively,
> we could just have no default port number (remove the "there is a
> default" flag), and then if the UI doesn't give the CM any port number,
> have the CM choose between 5222 and 5223 depending on old-ssl.
>
> Like the port, the server parameter is intended as an override for
> specific strange cases (e.g. a SSH tunnel terminated on localhost),
> rather than something you'll always use. At the moment Loudmouth (and
> hence Gabble) doesn't do a SRV lookup in DNS before connecting, whereas
> the XMPP spec requires that you do, which is why Google Talk doesn't
> Just Work with no tweaking.
>
> The right thing to do would be for Gabble to do a SRV lookup in DNS -
> conceptually, the right place to do this would be libloudmouth, but it
> would be sufficient for Gabble to do the SRV lookup and pretend the
> server and port parameters had been set accordingly. (It could even be
> done by Gossip as a way to populate those parameters, although I agree
> this is the wrong thing to do.)

Ok I understand the idea... So "server" and "port" parameters simply
shouldn't be displayed (or hidden in a "advanced settings" window) and
let gabble fill it for us. Maybe the "port" parameter shouldn't have a
default value to let gabble decide if it's 5222 or 5223 depending on the
"old-ssl" value.

> > 3) We should have a "hidden" flag for parameters to told the UI to hide
> > the input, that's very useful for parameters like "password" or
> > "stun-server-password", etc. This can be added to the .manager file
> > like:
> > 	param-password=s hidden
>
> This would be good to have - at the moment Cohoba special-cases password
> in its UI and debug output!
>
> It's not as simple as modifying the manager file, we do need to change
> the Telepathy spec - the manager file is just meant to be a cache
> of the information you can get over D-Bus, so you don't need to start up
> all the CMs on the system just to interrogate them (I wrote some code in
> Gabble to generate its .manager file during the build, in fact, and
> I think there's code somewhere to introspect a running CM using
> dbus-python and output its .manager file).
>
> I'm working on some missing features Gossip and Kopete want at the moment
> (server-side groups and avatars, hopefully followed by full vCard support)
> so I might be able to look at these too.

Thanks,

Xavier.