[Telepathy] features request

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 17:18:17 PDT 2006

Ar 14/10/2006 am 21:16, ysgrifennodd Xavier Claessens:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some features that would be great to have for gossip:
>
> 1) "account" param should have a default value like "user at jabber.org"
> for gabble, or "user at hotmail.com" for butterfly, "123456789" for ICQ,
> etc... This is useful to display to the user as example when gossip asks
> for the ID. Gossip's jabber protocol had an hardcoded "user at jabber.org"
> but it should be adapted for different protocols.

I still think that example values should be separate from default values, even
though I can't think of a case where one would want an example value and a
default value.

> 2) parameters should have a default value depending on the value set for
> other parameters. For example if old-ssl=false port should get the 5222
> default value, if old-ssl=true then port=5223. Another example, if I set
> account=zdra at gmail.com default value for alias should be set to "zdra"
> and server should be set to "talk.google.com". daf told me this involves
> DNS lookup...

Conditional defaults are going to be hairy to specify in the .manager file.

For the old-ssl case: the simplest approach is to not specify the port, and
let Gabble work out what it should be depending on whether old-ssl is set.

When we support TLS auth, this becomes less of a problem, because you need to
use old ssl less.

For the server case: the approach on the 770 for this is to use profiles. A
profile essentially contains a protocol and a set of defaults. Google Talk
accounts use the Google Talk profile, which specifies talk.google.com as a
server. Other Jabber accounts use the Jabber profile.

When we support SRV record lookups, this becomes less of a problem, because
you need to specify the server less.

--
Dafydd